May I continue my voluntary term life insurance when I retire?

 If you are a Local Education or Local Government retiree you must contact the agency you are retiring from with any questions about life insurance you may have had as an active employee. 

The continuation of life insurance for State and Higher Education employees who terminate employment or retire is not administered by Benefits Administration. When your insurance coverage terminates as an active employee, you will receive a letter from Securian (Minnesota Life) advising you of your options to continue coverage. If you choose to continue your state life insurance policy, coverage will be on a direct-pay basis to the carrier.

Any questions regarding continuation of coverage and premiums should be directed to the insurance carrier.

If you have any questions, go to the Securian (Minnesota Life) or call Group Customer Service at 1-866-881-0631 or e-mail

Have more questions? Submit a request