Employees who meet eligibility requirements for health insurance benefits as defined in the State Group Health Insurance Plan documents may choose the HealthSavings CDHP option.
However, to qualify for a health savings account (HSA) you must:
- Be covered under the HealthSavings CDHP
- Have no other health coverage
- Not be covered by an FSA or an HRA. This means that if your spouse works elsewhere and even has access to a FSA then you may not enroll in the CDHP option and contribute to an HSA. This is called double-dipping and the IRS has strict rules against this.
- Not be enrolled in Medicare or other government insurance program
- Not received benefits from the Veteran’s Administration in the past three months unless the care was received for a service-connected disability (and it must be a disability)
- Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return