Can I use the HSA to cover my children?

If you claim a child age 24 or under as a tax dependent and he or she is on your family health plan, the HSA can be used for his or her medical expenses. If you have a child age 25-26, your HSA may not be used to cover his or her expenses even if he or she is on your CDHP plan. This dependent can open his or her own HSA account and contribute up to the family maximum in this account as long as he or she is not claimed on another tax return.  He or should would need to open an HSA with a bank or organization of their own choosing; they may not use PayFlex.

Have more questions? Submit a request