Can any school board member enroll in the State's health insurance plan?

Yes, State law says a school board member of a Local Education Agency (LEA) may participate in the State’s health insurance plan if the member pays the total monthly premium for the coverage, unless the LEA assumes liability for all or a portion of the cost.  The LEA does not have to participate in the State plan for its school board members to be eligible to enroll in the State’s health insurance plan. The board member is not eligible to enroll in any other coverage offered by the State, i.e. vision or dental insurance.


When can a School Board member enroll in the State’s health insurance plan?

You may enroll within 31 days of being sworn into office, or during the State’s fall Annual Enrollment Period. You may also make changes if you have a Special Qualifying Event, as outlined on page 3 of the enrollment application (  Your eligibility date is date you were sworn in or no later than the end of the subsequent month. Coverage starts on the first day of the month after your eligibility date.


How does a School Board member enroll in the State’s health insurance plan?

If your school system participates in the State Group Insurance Program, the Human Resources staff will provide information about your options and premiums and help you enroll.  If not, the Benefits Administration Service Center will help.  Call 800-253-9981.  Be prepared to fill out an Enrollment Change Application found on the forms page of Benefits Administration (BA) website at In addition to the Application, you will need to provide:

  • A letter from the school district on official school board stationary stating the date you were sworn in and the date your term ends.  Your coverage will continue as long as you serve on the school board.  We must have this documentation for our annual audit purposes.  You will be eligible for COBRA when you leave office.
  • The required verification documents listed on page 2 of the Application if you want to enroll any dependents.
  • An Authorization Agreement for Preauthorized Payment (ACH) available from your HR office or the BA Service Center (800-253-9981) and a voided check.
Have more questions? Submit a request