I thought I enrolled in flexible benefits online during Annual Enrollment, but there have been no deductions taken from my paycheck.

Submit a request to the Benefits Administration Service Center so that we can review your account. You may submit a request by visiting the following link: https://benefitssupport.tn.gov/hc/en-us. Then click on “submit a request.” We are able to review an audit record from Annual Enrollment to see what changes were made. If there is no record of an attempt (confirmation page, screen shot, etc.), and there is no documentation of the enrollment on the audit report, then we cannot allow you to enroll unless there were extenuating circumstances (medical leave, temporary disability, etc.)

Have more questions? Submit a request