If you were entitled to receive disability benefits under the long term disability plan at the time of death, your beneficiary, designated for the LTD insurance program, will receive a benefit equal to three times the lesser of:
- the gross monthly disability benefit paid for the calendar month immediately preceding your death; or
- the gross monthly benefit you were entitled to receive for the month you die, if you die during the first month that disability benefits are payable.
The benefit will be paid in a lump sum.
If there is no designated beneficiary on file at the time of death, MetLife may determine the beneficiary according to the following order:
- Your spouse, if alive;
- Your child(ren), if there is no surviving spouse;
- Your parent(s), if there is no surviving child(ren);
- Your sibling(s), if there is no surviving parent(s); and
- Your estate, if there is no surviving sibling(s).